Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Evening Blogging


After several successful attempts of ignoring and at times chastising cult members of the 'Lost' phenomenon, I found myself hoisted with my own petard this weekend. During a fit of boredom, I errantly watched an episode of Lost involving the character 'Desmond David Hume'. In the episode, Desmond turned a key and ended up reliving several painful parts of his life. As much as he hoped to change this particular portion of his life, he consistently chooses the path of pain.

Desmond's namesake, David Hume, was extremely influential in the European enlightenment. Hume wrote extensively on the nature of free will and how many of our choices in life are determined by extrinsic forces. Ultimately, Desmond accepts his fate and moves onward cautiously into a deterministic future. This falls in-line with Philo-Hume's thoughts on free will. Of course, one thing led to another and I ended up watching several episodes in a row.

The result? I am forced to stand upon the rotting carcass of my own righteous indignation and admit I've been led into the cult of 'Lost' by the Sirens of Philosophy 101.

Also, congratulations are in order for Canada!

1 comment: