Monday, February 22, 2010

Sunday Evening (belated) Blogging

Enceladus, the planetary temptress of my fascination.

So it's Monday and I didn't post a "Sunday Evening Blogging" post last night. To ease the pain of a late blog post, feel free to take your pick of any of these excuses: I was too distracted by a sick kid, the dog ate my computer, one of my robots turned sentient on me and I was forced to take immediate action (the most likely scenario), or I got lost in ABC's "Lost" (the least likely scenario). None of these excuses are true, of course. The sad fact of the matter is that I forgot. Disturbingly, I'm told this is something that happens as you get older. I'll believe it when it happens to me. Again.

Onward and upward (into space)! The picture above was taken by the amazing and surprisingly entertaining space probe V'ger.. errr.... Cassini. That picture, my friends, is one of the most interesting moons of Saturn, Enceladus. So what's so insanely great about this moon which is only one of sixty two orbiting everyone's favorite ringed planet?

A gigantic underground ocean teeming with life!

Okay, caught in a lie again. We have no proof of a gigantic underground ocean teeming with life but it sure is fun to think about. Cassini has, however, returned some evidence for an ocean under the ice crust that covers the entire surface of Enceladus but has not discovered evidence of life. Many, many Euro-Ameri-dollars will be needed to figure out if said ocean is a supporter of life. Hopefully (fingers crossed) this will happen within my lifetime (which is inversely proportional to my HoHo intake.)

So I proclaim this to NASA:

"Build some more of those non-sentient, fantastical bots and launch them into that Undiscovered Country! And soon, please, HoHo's are good."

3 comments: