Saturday, April 17, 2010

2010 New Computer (#2)

Here's a quick pictorial tour through the build process:


The SuperMicro Chassis arrives from UPS! I added a standard 3.5" hard drive for scale. This chassis is big.



Various states of working through putting the system together.







Done! (somewhat)



The reason I say "somewhat" done is due to the fact that the power supply that arrived with the case does not have two 8 pin CPU connectors. Unbeknown to me, newer Intel Xeon motherboards require two 8 pin connectors for a total of four 12 volt inputs (each 8 pin has two 12 volt inputs) for dual processor machines. The PSU in the SuperMicro case only has one 8 pin connector and a 4 pin connector.

I found a molex + 4 pin to 8 pin connector on newegg that will do the trick. (Watch out for the single 4 pin to 8 pin converters. Those connectors may solve your problem but only provide 12 volts on half the number of wires. If the CPU draws too much power, the two 18 gage wires coming out of the PSU may get hot enough to burn through their insulation.)

Ultimately, I'm left with a sad (depressing) state of affairs. I can't play with my brand new new $2000+ machine until I receive a $6 cable from newegg. Grrrr.....

1 comment:

  1. Isn't this a bit overboard for Starcraft II?

    -Jason

    ReplyDelete